.

.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Dark Saturday: A Novel by Nicci French

(Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

Enter the world of NICCI FRENCH with Dark Saturday, an electrifying, sophisticated psychological thriller about past crimes and present dangers, featuring an unforgettable protagonist…

A decade ago, 18-year-old Hannah Docherty was arrested for the shocking murder of her family. It was an open-and-shut case, and Hannah has been incarcerated in a secure psychiatric hospital ever since.

When psychotherapist Frieda Klein is asked to meet Hannah and give her assessment, she reluctantly agrees. But what she finds horrifies her. Hannah has become a tragic figure, old before her time. And Frieda is haunted by the idea that Hannah might be as much of a victim as her family — that she might, in fact, be innocent.

As Hannah’s case takes hold of her, Frieda begins to realize that she’s up against someone who will go to any lengths to keep the truth from surfacing — even kill again.

Utterly compelling and enthralling, Dark Saturday speeds readers down a twisting trail of secrets, suspense, and murder.

my thoughts:

I'm going to be upfront and admit to never having read any of the books in the Freida Klein series by writing duo Nicci French (the authors are husband and wife, Nicci Gerrard and Sean French).  However, I have heard nothing but amazing things about their books and so I've always had their name on my list of authors to read.  So, when I was provided with the chance to review Dark Saturday, I jumped at the chance.  How could I not?  The book not only sounded amazing, but the author was on my TBR list - it was fate!

I settled down with a huge cuppa, a warm blanket ( the A/C is cranked up to freezing in my house, because its so HOT outside ), and my copy of Dark Saturday.  I did not get up for anyone or anything - I just read, read, and read some more until I reached the very end.  And let me tell you, I loved every minute of.  The book was fantastic! Chock full of mystery and suspense, I was hooked all the way through.  I can't wait to read the rest of this series!

So, what is Dark Saturday about?  Well, its about psychotherapist Freida Klein and her latest case: Hannah Docherty.  Hannah was eighteen when she was arrested for murdering her family.  All the evidence pointed right at her, so she was sent to Chelsworth Hospital - a hospital filled with inmates that the doctors are supposed to be treating/helping.  Its been thirteen years and the police want her case looked over again.  Apparently the lead investigator has just had another case overturned and in order to make sure that it doesn't happen again, the police have asked Freida to look over Hannah's case.  They figure the evidence is all there and the fact that Hannah is crazy will pretty much confirm what they already know - that's she's guilty.  Of course, Freida being Freida, can not just meet Hannah once and decide that she is guilty.  Nope, she needs to meet with her multiple times and pore over the files of the case.  Why?  Well, she's wondering if perhaps Hannah is a victim.  And she's wondering who really killed Hannah's family and why.  Yep, Freida is now on the case and she wants her answers.

French has written a chilling and gripping story that is the epitome of unputdownable.  It is seriously addictive- you won't/can't stop reading.  The writing was spot on with its quick-paced feel that provided the right amount of tension to each scene.  The horror and grittiness of the hospital was eye-opening and terrifying.  And getting to know Freida through her friends and her work was perfect.  I loved how smart, determined, and dysfunctional she was - a flawed, but realistic character.  This book was seriously just what I needed to get me out of my reading doldrums. I absolutely LOVED it!!

I would happily recommend Dark Saturday to fans of Nicci French and anyone looking for their next great read - you will LOVE this book!!

Here's the link to my TLC Book Tour schedule for: Dark Saturday
Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!

5 comments:

Ti said...

This one sounds really good. These are the types of books I am reading this summer. Psychological thrillers, domestic dramas, etc. I am just eating them up. I laughed at the image of you with your blanket. I do the same exact thing! House is freezing because of the AC and I am encased in a blanket.

Lark said...

I've been meaning to read a Nicci French novel forever, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm very glad to know I can jump into this series and start reading this book without having to read the other books first. 'Cause this one sounds good! :)

bermudaonion said...

I haven't read this author yet but know I need to.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm so glad this book lived up to your high expectations!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.

Nadia said...

Ti, it really was such a great book. And I know what you mean, these types of books are simply the best this summer. They are what is calling me to read more lately and I love it. Yes! The A/C is cranked up because its summer, so I need my blanket to curl up with as I devour these psych-thrillers :)

Lark, I know, right!? This was my first one and I loved it!! So good!! You definitely need to give their books a go - so worth it! Yes, you can jump right in and not feel lost in the series and I loved that about the book. Of course, now I want to read the series :)

Kathy, yes, you need to!

Heather, thanks for having me on this tour - I loved the book so much!!