.

.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

An Atwood Poem

Margaret Atwood is a brilliant author of speculative fiction ( I just love Alias Grace and The Handmaid's Tale ).  And her poetry is nothing less of excellent.  So, to honor National Poetry Month, here is one of my favorite Atwood poems.  Enjoy!

This Is a Photograph of Me
by Margaret Atwood
It was taken some time ago. 
At first it seems to be 
a smeared
print: blurred lines and grey flecks 
blended with the paper;

then, as you scan
it, you see in the left-hand corner 
a thing that is like a branch: part of a tree 
(balsam or spruce) emerging 
and, to the right, halfway up 
what ought to be a gentle 
slope, a small frame house.

In the background there is a lake, 
and beyond that, some low hills.

(The photograph was taken
the day after I drowned.

I am in the lake, in the center 
of the picture, just under the surface.

It is difficult to say where 
precisely, or to say 
how large or small I am:
the effect of water 
on light is a distortion

but if you look long enough, 
eventually
you will be able to see me.)

No comments: